Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Keep Your Politics Out of My Jiu-Jitsu

I never understood it; biased reffing, buying black belts, why? Does it really have to be that way? Do you really have to stoop to that level?

I've noticed it ever since my first IBJJF tournament, the 2006 American Nationals; referees making wrong calls in favor of their own teammates, sometimes teammates that don't even train with them, but train at some distant affiliate of their own team. I mean this does largely fall on one team in particular (I won't name any names, but I'm sure most of us know who I'm talking about), but I have seen it amongst smaller circles as well. Are you really willing to go so far as to cheat some poor kid (I have seen this even in the juvenile division) that you don't even know out of a title? All for what, a couple extra team points? It's disgraceful and those who participate should be ashamed to even be apart of the sport we all love so much. This by and large is what I feel is one of the biggest problems in Jiu-Jitsu today. Not only is it disrespectful to the sport, but what about the athletes who didn't ask to win that way? Does the win really feel the same? I'm sure there's the select few who don't care and will resort to any means necessary to come out the victor, but for the most part I'm sure it's not how many people want it to be. I for one would not be happy with that ruling and would feel like my title did not mean as much. The referees need to learn not to be so selfish and think about what they are doing, not only to the competitor that they screwed, but the one who they "helped" as well.

Along with this goes the discussion of buying affiliation and even worse. . . BLACK BELTS!! Has the sport really come to this level of lack of pride and morals? Being that I train in Arizona, I have noticed a lot of this. I'm sure it's bad in other states, but it seems to be particularly bad here. With issues such as one of the state's foremost fake black belts being abble to just buy his way into one of the world's largest BJJ teams (still, no names, although some can figure it out). This "affiliation" program is the very thing that is watering down our sport. The way this works makes things very deceiving to the beginning practitioner, making them believe that this school is legitimate due to the name. Also, some legitimate black belts out there are willing to tarnish their own names in exchange for a belt-for-money deal. An instructor should be able to take pride in anyone representing them not just worry about the money they're making, and when these things come out, they usually do, your name will never be the same, it may only be in hushed circles, but people know. What's just as big a problem, if not worse, is scam artists giving themselves black belts, again, no names, well. . . Roland Sarria! What!? Did I just say that!? I mean, come on, the guy says God gave him his black belt and compares himself to Batman. . . Need I say more? This is another situation where I don't understand how a full grown adult can do this to another person. You are taking these kids' hard earned money and feeding them crap in the mean time, the kids, knowing no better, eat it up and believe that what they are learning is real and effective. It sickens me! Something should be done about it, I don't know what, but the Jiu-Jitsu community needs to get together and think of something for all of these subjects. Feel free to leave some suggestions on the blog and let me know what you think should be done.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I couldn't agree with you more! I beleive that politics and belt buying is what forced the IBJJF to become stricter with their rules and requirements. IE, Black Belts now needing to register with the IBJJF to get an IBJJF/USBJJF ID card in order to compete. To make things more difficult for those Bought Black Belts, the membership requires a signature from a registered Black Belt that is a 2nd degree Black Belt or higher. I feel that requirements such as what is being done should help in legitimizing our sport that we love so much and work so hard at. Again, great work! Let's keep BJJ from falling prey to the tae kwon do/mc dojo stigma.

    ReplyDelete