Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Journey of the Gi Part 2 (Review)

So, to pick up where I left off. . . In 2009 I decided it was time to get a gi that was just for competition and would never be trained in. I wanted a good looking, yet tough gi. With that in mind, I wound up with the Koral MKM Competition gi in navy blue. I definitely hit the nail on the head with those two criteria. The navy blue is very slick looking and I get many compliments on it. Also, it is very thick, leaving me to believe it will last awhile. On the downside, the thickness comes with a price, it is very heavy and far from ideal for making weight. Another thing to note is that the sleeves are very long, leaving it feeling baggy and a little uncomfortable while rolling. The bagginess is also emphasized in the armpits, they hang really low leaving me pushing up the material in that area constantly. Other than that though it is actually a pretty decent gi, but I would not recommend it if you have a hard time making weight.



My next gi was a hand-me-down given to me shortly after I bought my MKM. It was a Koral, but an older Koral Classic. All in all, I think this is my favorite gi that I have ever owned. It was tight against my body with no excess material what so ever. It was tough and durable, lasting through two different owners. It definitely fit my most basic demand, comfortability. It was not baggy like the MKM and it just flat out felt right. I don't know if the newer classic cut is like this, but if it is, I would highly recommend it to anyone.




For my next purchase, I went the cheap route, buying a pair of Fujis and boy did it pay off! I think all in all this is the best investment you can make as far as kimonos go. It fits well to your body, not quite as well as the Koral Classic, but is very comfortable. Not only that, but they seem to be somewhat durable and aren't too heavy either. The best part is that for the price of your average gi, you can get two Fujis! This is the only training gi I will ever buy again due to the quality and economically sound pricing. One thing though, either buy the gi a size bigger than you would normally or DO NOT dry it!! It shrinks more than any other gi that I have ever seen. Even with that being said this is my gi of choice for newcomers and veterans alike!

Again, I would highly recommend http://www.jiujitsuprogear.com/ for all your gi needs, unless you want an Atama, thay don't carry those.

5 comments:

  1. Buy MMA Gadgets online or in our riofightwear store in Canada! Discover out T-shirts, barbados, caps, hooded perspire shirts, having difficulties shirts, battling barbados, kick-boxing barbados, you name it.

    Buy Your Product gameness gi

    ReplyDelete